The Women in Economics Network (WEN) is linked to the Economic Society of Australia. It has been formed to promote and support the careers of female economists in Australia.
The objectives for the Women in Economics Network are to:
- professionally connect and support the career development of women in economics
- increase the representation of women at all levels of the economics profession
- promote public contributions by female economists
- encourage young women to study economics.
Membership of the Economics Society and the WEN is open to anyone with an interest in economics including economists and other professionals in academia, government, business and teaching. People can join the WEN by becoming members of their local branch of the Economics Society of Australia.
Men are welcome (and encouraged) to become members of WEN and attend most WEN events. However, some of the activities of the WEN such as the Women in Economics Retreat, mentoring program and media register are targeted specifically at women.
The WEN has a number of activities planned for the next few years. These include:
- Regular events – seminars on economic issues featuring female speakers as well as professional development and networking events
- An annual women in economics retreat for junior and mid-career women
- A mentoring program – where junior women are matched with senior women in their sector
- A media and public speaking register – designed to provide media outlets and conference organisers with a list of qualified women when they are looking for economists
- Advocating for women in economics – using our website, newsletter, social media and special sessions at the Australian Conference of Economists to promote the careers and research of female economists
- A pipeline program – initiatives to promote economics as a career to female students at school and universities.
The WEN is run by the Central Council and State branches of the Economic Society of Australia. It is supported at the national level by the Women in Economics Committee (the WEC). WEN state committees or representatives also support the state branches in running WEN events. A full list of WEN committee members and the process for becoming a committee member are outlined on the committee pages.